Tuesday 8 February 2011

You Never Know What You Will Come Across

On my return home to Canada, I was looking through WH Smith and found a photoworks magazine from the 2010 Brighton Biennial Festival.  Back in 2007 I fell in love with the japanese photographer Rinko Kawauchi, who photographs the everyday mundane and can turn into something magical, she is constantly looking and I believe as a photographer we forget sometimes, what is around us everyday.  Looking in the magazine I saw that she has done a series called 'Murmation' where she is drawn to the spectacle of flocking starlings at Brighton Pier.  During the winter months at dusk, the birds gather in their tens of thousands, wheeling around to create a mesmerising swirl cloud called a murmation.  She seems to be fascinated by the ephemeral nature of this phenomenon and, continuing on with the theme of the flock, she has also trailed groups of people in the city. 

I have a great love for birds and this series approaches them in a way that I haven't come across yet, just amazing. If you have time, google her and check her work out.








No comments:

Post a Comment