Wednesday 6 April 2011

Alice Neel

Whilst rummaging through old papers for my research I came across Alice Neel, my sister and I were fortunate enough to see her exhibition last summer on the closing day at the Whitechapel Gallery.  I've been trying to find inspiration in relation to my final major project within portraiture and colour scheme, I remembered how much I loved her work (thanks to my sis), so here we go, I present to you, Alice Neel and a selection of her many works from the 1920's to the 1980's

A little bit about her...

Alice Neel was one of the great American painters of the twentieth century. She was also a pioneer among women artists. A painter of people, landscape and still life, Neel was never fashionable or in step with avant-garde movements. Sympathetic to the expressionist spirit of northern Europe and Scandinavia and to the darker arts of Spanish painting, she painted in a style and with an approach distinctively her own.
http://www.aliceneel.com/home/













No comments:

Post a Comment